The unprecedented suspension, announced on Friday, was lifted just hours later after the commission determined that the security threat to the electoral process had been contained.
Violence Rocks the Electoral Process
The ECZ halted proceedings after receiving reports of violence targeting election officials in several districts, with some cases involving the theft of already-marked ballot papers. The commission said the violence was directed at poll staff and, in some instances, resulted in the theft of marked ballot papers from ballot boxes.
The suspension marked an unusual development for Zambia, a southern African nation of 22 million people that has largely held peaceful elections since its return to multiparty democracy in 1991. The move drew concern from observers and civil society, with Transparency International Zambia reporting 152 violent incidents in 46 constituencies, 16 of which occurred during and after voting day.
In at least two polling stations, observers said militants from the ruling UPND had chased away election observers and representatives of other political parties.

Counting Resumes Under Heightened Security
Electoral Commission Chairperson Mwangala Zaloumis announced the resumption of counting, confirming the security threat had been neutralized.
"Following a review of the security situation and consultations with the relevant law enforcement agencies, I'm pleased to inform you and to inform the nation that the security threat to the electoral process has been contained," she said at a press briefing.

The commission did not indicate whether the stolen ballot papers would affect final results.
Riot police and army vehicles were deployed to parts of the capital Lusaka, including the main vote tallying centre, though there were no reports of major unrest. One person was killed at a polling station during Thursday's vote, with police identifying the victim as a party official and reporting the arrest of nine suspects.
Candidates Clash Over Claims and Integrity
Incumbent President Hakainde Hichilema, seeking a second term, urged voters to remain peaceful and patient. The 64-year-old leader oversaw Zambia's debt restructuring after the 2020 sovereign default, but critics say economic stability has not translated into relief for widespread poverty.

Opposition candidate Brian Mundubile claimed victory without providing evidence, calling the suspension "an opportunity for interference with or manipulation of the results." The 55-year-old first-time candidate leads an opposition alliance backed by supporters of Hichilema's predecessor, the late Edgar Lungu.
"The people of Zambia voted. Their decision must be respected," Mundubile said, calling for immediate release of results.
The ECZ has warned all candidates against declaring themselves winners, noting it is a criminal offense.

What Comes Next
Fourteen candidates contested the presidency, with 8.7 million voters registered at over 13,500 polling stations. A presidential candidate must secure more than 50% of votes to win in the first round or face a runoff.

The ECZ has announced the first partial results, confirming the contest between Hichilema (22,476 votes) and Mundubile (14,388 votes), with official results expected by Monday.
With reporting from Xinhua, Associated Press, TV5Monde, SABC News and Reuters.


